I say yes, abortion should be a choice, in the sense that women should have the right to be able not to resort to it. Sadly, it is not always the case.
For many women, abortion - whether legal or not - is seen as "the only way out", because giving birth would threaten their health (physical and mental), safety, and life prospects in life. The reasons are many, including:
- life-threatening illness or psychological breakdown during pregnancy
- risk of domestic abuse/violence because of the pregnancy
- stigma against single mothers (plus extremely cumbersome and/or lengthy adoption processes)
- unaffordable or unavailable childcare
- unaffordable healthcare for the baby (eg. in case of disability)
- lack if employment opportunities for mothers.